LAHC Scholarship Program- 2019 AY
LAHC is proud and privileged to be recognized as a leading advocate of higher education and to have the distinction of being the largest Scholarship assistance program in the area. Throughout the past twenty eight years, LAHC has awarded over 1,200 students of high academic distinction more than $1.3 million dollars in scholarships.
Who May Apply?
- Senior High School Students (Please note that in past years, this program was also open to Undergraduate and Graduate students. this year, due to funding constraints, we are only able to Senior High School Students).
Do I have to be of Arab descent to qualify?
No. This program is open to all students regardless of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status.
LAHC does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, hiring and firing of staff, selection of volunteers and vendors, and provision of services. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, clients, volunteers, subcontractors, vendors, and clients.
Please read carefully:
The monetary value of the scholarship varies from one academic institution to another, pending the matching agreement we have in place with these universities. The LAHC portion of the scholarship is deposited directly into the students’ accounts and matched by that particular university accordingly. Recipients who choose to switch universities after applying for the scholarship, risk altering the final value of the scholarship received.
- Scholarship Applicants must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents of the Unites States and reside in the state of Michigan.
- Senior High School Students
- Maintain a minimum GPA of 3.5 or higher
- Demonstrate financial need
- All scholarship recipients are expected to attend the following two mandatory meetings. No Exceptions! if you believe that you are unable to commit to attend these two important meetings, we advise you not to proceed with the scholarship application.
- LAHC 31st Annual Awards Gala: Wednesday, April 10th, 2019 at 4:30 p.m. The Henry Hotel
- Meeting with Scholarship Recipients: Friday April 5th, 2019 at 5:30 p.m. LAHC Office-Dearborn
An extra credit will be given to applicants as follows:
- Applicants majoring in certain fields specified by the scholarship program sponsors as a condition for awarding the scholarship
- Applicants enrolled or planning to enroll in universities that contribute towards the Scholarship Fund.Scholarship funding is limited and completion of an application does not guarantee an award.
Deadline to apply: March 5th, 2019
All required documents [including the 2 letters of recommendation] must be submitted electronically by the student, along with the scholarship application at one time. Applications submitted via email, mail or delivered by hand will be rejected. No exceptions!
Below is a list of the required documents:
- Application form
- Academic Transcripts: Most recent Academic Transcript
- Two letters of recommendation: Letters should be from faculty members familiar with the student’s character and academic performance. Letters must be recent and must be on letterhead of the institution. Students are highly encouraged to attach their letters of recommendation to the scholarship application. Although this is not the preferred method, faculty members who still wish to send their letters directly to us may do so through this secure link: www.lahc.org/lor. If your teacher (s) will be sending the letter (s) directly to us, please attach a note to your application to that effect. Please note that we are not responsible for any letters that are not received, nor that we can provide you with updates in this regards.
- A copy of your current Student Aid Report (SAR). Report must include the EFC number (expected family contribution). The EFC number is an essential part of the scholarship selection process. To obtain the SAR with the EFC, you must submit your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to the U.S. Department of Education. You can submit your application on the internet at www.fafsa.ed.gov. Submit your FAFSA as soon as possible so that you can receive your SAR on time to meet the deadline.
- A 500-word essay: What do you consider to be the single most important societal problem your community is facing and Why? Why is education a vehicle of change for your community?
- ACT OR SAT Test Results (Submit which ever is available to you).
For any questions, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org