LAHC Scholarship Program- 2020AY
LAHC is proud and privileged to be recognized as a leading advocate of higher education and to have the distinction of offering one of the largest scholarship assistance programs in the area. Throughout the past thirty two years, LAHC has awarded nearly $1.5 million dollars in academic scholarships to area students.
Who May Apply?
- Senior High School Students
Scholarship funding is limited and completion of an application does not guarantee an award.
Please read carefully:
The monetary value of the scholarship varies from one academic institution to another, pending the matching agreement we have in place with these universities. The LAHC portion of the scholarship is deposited directly into the students’ accounts and matched by that particular university accordingly. Recipients who choose to switch universities after applying for the scholarship, risk altering the final monetary value of the scholarship received.
- Scholarship Applicants must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents of the Unites States and reside in the state of Michigan.
- Senior High School Students
- Maintain a minimum GPA of 3.5 or higher
- Demonstrate financial need
- All scholarship recipients are expected to attend the following two mandatory meetings:
a. Meeting with Scholarship Recipients: Wednesday, May 20th, 2020 at 5:30 p.m. LAHC Community Center: 5275 Kenilworth St. Dearborn
b. LAHC 32nd Annual Awards Gala: Thursday, May 28th, 2020 at 4:30 p.m. The Henry HotelIf you believe that you are unable to commit to attend these two important meetings, we advise you not to proceed with the scholarship application
An extra credit will be given to applicants as follows:
- Applicants majoring in certain fields specified by the scholarship program sponsors as a condition for awarding the scholarship
- Applicants enrolled or planning to enroll in universities that contribute towards the Scholarship Fund.
Deadline to apply: April 22nd, 2020
All required documents [including the 2 letters of recommendation] must be submitted electronically by the student, along with the scholarship application at one time. Applications submitted via email, mail or delivered by hand will be rejected. No exceptions!
Below is a list of the required documents:
- Online Application form
- Most recent Academic Transcript
- Two letters of recommendation: Letters should be from faculty members familiar with the student’s character and academic performance. Letters must be recent and must be on letterhead of the institution. Students are highly encouraged to attach their letters of recommendation to the scholarship application. Although this is not the preferred method, faculty members who still wish to send their letters directly to us may do so through this secure link: www.lahc.org/lor. If your teacher (s) will be sending the letter (s) directly to us, please attach a note to your application to that effect. Please note that we are not responsible for any letters that are not received, nor that we can provide you with updates in this regards.
- A copy of your current Student Aid Report (SAR). Report must include the EFC number (expected family contribution). The EFC number is an essential part of the scholarship selection process. To obtain the SAR with the EFC, you must submit your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to the U.S. Department of Education. You can submit your application on the internet at www.fafsa.ed.gov. Submit your FAFSA as soon as possible so that you can receive your SAR on time to meet the deadline.
- A 500-word essay: Substance abuse is an epidemic that has been plaguing our community for years. Teenage drug abuse is one of the largest problems in society today and continues to grow every year. Peer pressure, low self-esteem, escape, self-medication, boredom, instant gratification and rebellion… are some of the reasons why youth turn to drugs. How do you think we as a community need to address this epidemic and what role should youth take in this effort?
- ACT OR SAT Test Results (Submit which ever is available to you).
For any questions, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org