Employment Status: Part-Time
Job Summary: Under limited supervision, uses intermediate skills obtained through experience and training to teach academic subjects, such as English, Mathematics, Science to elementary students requiring private instruction, adapting curriculum to meet individual’s needs. Meets regularly with elementary students requiring academic improvement and provides assistance to increase students understanding of a specific subject, developing basic skills and study skills, with or without computer-aided instruction.
- Strong GPA in college coursework
- Strong Knowledge of Academic subjects such as English, Mathematics, Science or other subjects as required based on assigned program.
- Mastering of appropriate and effective learning techniques and concepts for learners of different age levels.
- Excellent communication skills
- Flexibility with regard to work environment
- Openness to training and skills development
- Ability to work with students one-on-one and in small groups
- Availability to work at least 6 hours per week during 2014-2015 academic year
- Availability to attend training and job orientation
Educational/Previous Experience Requirements:
Minimum Degree Required:
- High School Diploma
- Strong knowledge of specified academic subject or any equivalent combination of experience, education, and/or training
- Provide academic support during assigned hours
- Assist with homework. Explain concepts in a manner that students understand.
- Observe and evaluate students work to determine progress and make suggestions for improvement.
- Perform front desk activities, including scheduling, record-keeping, and tutoring-coordination
- Develop a full working knowledge of academic skills development materials and strategies
- Adapt teaching methods and instructional materials to meet students varying needs, abilities and interests.
- Motivate and support student through positive feedback and reinforcement.
- Conduct pre and post assessments with students. Measure and report progress.
- Supervise and monitor students.
- Communicate with parents as applicable.
- Identify and support the mission of the Tutoring Center
- Increase leadership abilities
- Demonstrate the ability to work with diverse groups of people
- Improve problem-solving skills through improved subject knowledge
- Improve communication skills
- Develop strategies to improve student self-sufficiency
- Improve general learning skills