Job Position: Health Educator-Prevention Specialist
Full-Time: $30,000-$35,000+ Benefits
LAHC’s Prevention department has an immediate opening for a Prevention Specialist/Peer Recovery Coach. Our prevention program utilizes evidence-based strategies designed to keep individuals, families and communities healthy and free from problems related to alcohol and/or other drug use, gambling prevention, mental health disorders, parent/child conflict, abuse and/or neglect.
Key Responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Facilitation of educational workshops/sessions in local schools, community and faith based organizations – this is the primary responsibility of the position. All schools, community organizations, and summer programs are located in Wayne County, Public and Charter.
- Assist Program Manager in preparing lesson plans that conforms to program guidelines, are age appropriate, and is based on the needs of the participants.
- Attend program meetings, trainings on and off-site.
- Conduct pre and post evaluation and prepare reports
- Provide presentations on general substance use issues and LAHC’s services as needed.
- Facilitate educational classes/groups related to programming as needed.
- Reports data and outcomes as required.
- Disseminate substance use information at health and public fairs, school open houses and other community events.
- Establish and maintain liaison relationships with appropriate agencies regarding substance use prevention.
- Attends assigned meetings as required.
- Ability to adjust hours of work based on the community needs, including some evening and weekends.
- Knowledgeable of national and local substance use and prevention statistics and demonstrates the ability to apply current trends to service delivery.
- Ensures assigned paperwork is completed and maintained in accordance with LAHC’s and funding source standards.
Education and Training Requirements:
- A minimum of a bachelor’s degree in social work, sociology, psychology, family ecology, consumer/community services, family studies, family and/or child development, guidance/school counseling, counseling psychology, education, public health, human services, or criminal justice.
- Prior facilitation experience and/or classroom training experience.
Experience in public speaking and prior curriculum implementation is a plus.
- Approximately 1+ year of related professional experience/ Experience in outreach education preferably with income eligible population.
- Must have strong written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
- Cultural competency is a must.
- Solid organizational skills; ability to manage multiple projects and meet deliverables and expectations.
- Bilingual is desirable (Arabic).
- Must have transportation and a valid driver license. Travel to multiple sites to provide services to students, teachers, parents…etc
- Preferred: Certified Prevention Specialist from MCBAP
Click here to apply for this position