Health Educator & Fitness Specialist
The Health Educator & Fitness Specialist position serves empower low-income families using evidence-based strategies to achieve healthy lives and reduce health disparities. Specific strategies include direct education in various settings, community-based projects to address policy, system or environmental changes and public health approaches to help children, families and adults improve dietary quality and food resource management skills and increase physical activity.
- Educator will provide evidence-based nutrition and physical activity education in pre-school, schools, and community sites for children, youth, adults, and seniors
- Providing service to the following age populations: Pediatrics, adolescents and adults in a manner that demonstrates an understanding of the functional/developmental age of the individual served
- Assisting in the planning, development, and implementation of nutrition education programs
- Works closely with the Program Coordinator to ensure community educational requirements are met.
- Shops and prepares nutritious snacks for program participants, kitchen skills are preferred.
- Participates in community events to engage with residents and demonstrate the importance of healthy eating and physical activity (cooking demonstrations and physical activity demos).
- Maintains professional relationships with community partners to ensure the successful delivery of programming.
- Design and implement youth, adult and family physical activities both virtually and in person
- Performs implementation of pre-/post- tests.
- Collects and prepares demographic and other data for reports as required.
- Experience in the following is beneficial: Physical education, sports, athletic ability, teaching ability, creating a fun environment, being a role model.
- Bachelor’s Degree Kinesiology or related field
- Personal Training or Group Exercise Certification Preferred
- Approximately 1+ year of related professional experience
- Must have strong written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Cultural competency is a must
- Solid organizational skills; ability to manage multiple projects and meet deliverables and expectations
- Bilingual is desirable (Arabic)
- Must have transportation and a valid driver license
- Daily travel to multiple sites to provide services to students, teachers and parents
- Pass a criminal and driving background check.
- Two (2) years of experience in serving young children and their families.
- Master’s degree in early childhood education or related field.